Saturday, August 27, 2011

Happy birthday to me


A week after getting to Togo I had the chance to celebrate my birthday here. It didn't really feel like a birthday at first as there were meetings all day long. After leaving meetings at 3:00 I still had to go to the music room to tidy up. By around 6:00 I went home exhausted. I hadn't told anyone it was my birthday so I was quite homesick to be at home celebrating with family and friends. Maybe heading to kelly o!s or doing a free birthday day (this is when d and i circle all the places that offer free birthday meals or birthday drinks or birthday gifts)
Later that evening I headed to the jazz club with all the new teachers. I let one person know that today was the day I was turning 26 and then everyone began wishing and congratulating. Happy Birthday was then sang a number of times even in various musical styles by the jazz band. Overall it was a nice evening. 
I had the experience of eating frog legs and barracuda for dinner with fanta and chocolate mousse for dessert. 
Now I am 26. I still feel like 25 but celebrating a 26th birthday in Africa was not so bad at all. 

No comments: