Sunday, June 19, 2011

Resources

One of the most valuable resources in my quest for a job was a website called International School Review. It costs $30 a year but the information on there was/is very helpful. With the help of ISR I was able to narrow down some of my options after interviews when the job offers came in.

I was given the chance to talk with one of the founders of the website in person over coffee. The person's stories and experiences were memorable. The advice I was given was fantastic. Some of it as basic as "Buy good quality 100% cotton clothing for the hot and humid climate or you'll regret it. Make sure it's good quality so if it is handled by roughly by someone washing your clothes it won't end up in shreds after being worn 3x" and "Pack picture books. Regardless what the language capabilities are of your students everyone will be able to understand with the pictures" or "Does the school have an evacuation policy in place? Make sure you ask before you go." The person also looked over the sample contract the school sent me. With their help additions that may need to be added to the contract and what questions I may want to ask the director before I accepted the job.

No comments: