Friday, June 10, 2011

Grad & Goals

In my grade 7 Grad writeup I penned one Future Goal: to graduate from university. I decided that I would be a teacher when I was 10 and had already looked into what I would have to do to become one, so this is where this goal was born.

Seven years after starting into the post-secondary world it is finished! I graduated with my B.Ed in hand today at 3:00. While walking into the gym where they have the ceremony I felt a tear trickle from the corner of eye because I had finally made it. I could have finished my degree sooner but I took a year off after high school to be sure of what I wanted to do. Then once I entered university I decided to only take 4 classes instead of the normal 5 per semester so I could continue to teach violin on the side while going to school. It was a good choice for me that led to me taking a year off in between my arts courses and the education program. This is why 7 years later I am finally finished.

I have learned much both in school and out but am looking forward to the next chapter in life where I get to teach in my own classroom...

Here are a few things I have learned from university
-All-nighters are not fun especially when spent on English papers due at 8:30 the next morning
-Profs can make or break an interest in a certain subject
-Taking a three hour class in the evening after a full day of classes from someone who is extremely monotone should be considered a form of torture
-When taking classes that are exceptionally boring remember to file the experience away in the how not to teach category in my brain
-Having an excellent proof reader is a HUGE asset during essay season (Thank you Daniel, Dad and Lenna)
-Waiting to do projects or papers until the last minute stresses out me AND the proofreader
-The library has DVD's you can rent when your brain feels to overwhelmed to study
-It is not wise to rent more than 5 DVD's a day before a final exam worth more than 60% of your mark
-Park at the mall and take the bus to school. You will save tons on parking!
-When riding the bus to school read your text book right before class. It will help you during class discussions and make you sound really knowledgeable
-Popcorn can make for a great dinner if projects are due at midnight
-The best way to learn a language is through immersion
-Too much stress will cause you to get sick more often
-I won't get sick during school usually but almost always get sick during holiday time or long weekends :P
-A strong support group makes all the difference!


1 comment:

Melanie said...

Omedatou Natalie!!! That means Congratulations in Japanese :) I'm so happy for you!