Thursday, June 16, 2011

Another Ending

Today was my last day of teaching violin here in Canada after 10 years. It was a day of mixed emotions that stirred many meories from two years ago.

Two years ago I was twirling around on a swing in a park after year end violin recital picnic with my violin students and their families. Everyone had left so I was all alone with my thoughts. I remember feeling deep sadness. I loved teaching violin. All the families I taught were fantastic but it was time to move into the next part of life-finishing my teaching degree. Even though I was excited to go back to school I questioned if this was the right decision. Music was my life. I had been teaching some of these violin students since they were little ones and now they were entering their teen years. I had poured my heart and soul into these students and now it was time to let go of many of them. While sitting on that swing I learned that letting go can be really really hard.

During my teaching practicums I was positive that it wouldn't be hard at all to leave and let go. I told myself that it would get easier every time but at the end of the practicum I would realize it's still not getting any easier. I still feel sad. Sometimes I am envious of people who are able to separate themselves and not get attached to their students but in other ways I know that I won't be like that no matter how hard I try. That's why today is hard for me.

I am so glad I get to live out my dream and teach. My job is the best in the world as I have the privilege of watching little people grow and learn. But they are not the only ones learning. Even though I am the one teaching I still learn from every one of my students. I have learned so much from every single one of them.

And for that I must say 'Thank you'. Thank you to all my violin students. You are all amazing and you have helped me become a better teacher. And it must be said as well thank you parents. Without you none of this would be possible. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...

No comments: